- This event has passed.
Dharma Talk by Hozan Alan Senauke (ONLINE)
November 2 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
Hozan Alan Senauke is a Soto Zen priest, folk musician and poet residing at the Berkeley Zen Center (BZC) in Berkeley, California, where he currently serves as Vice Abbot. Hozan was ordained and received Dharma Transmission from Sojun Roshi in 1998. As a former Executive Director of the Buddhist Peace Fellowship (BPF), he brings a global perspective on socially-engaged Buddhism and Zen as a force for positive change. He founded the Clear View Project, bringing Buddhist-based resources for relief and social change where they are needed around the world.
Our Monday night programs begin with zazen (sitting meditation) followed by a devotional service and dharma talk, group discussion, practice circle or retreat night. There are no membership requirements to participate. We invite donations to support the room rental, visits by teachers, and other sangha activities. Valley Streams Zen Sangha is dedicated to the study of Buddha’s teaching and the practice of meditation. We invite newcomers and experienced Zen students to join us.
During the Covid-19 pandemic, we will meet online using Zoom video conferencing software. We will continue to monitor local health advisories regarding group meetings. We of course hope to be able to resume our in-person programs as soon as it is safe to do so.
*To join the meeting by computer, you must install Zoom software:
- Sign Up for Weekly Emails to receive each Meeting ID and Password.
- Prior to the meeting, download the free Zoom Client for Meetings (13 MB) As you Wait for the host to start the meeting click the Test Computer Audio button to make sure you can hear and be heard by others.
- Download the chants in PDF.
- At 6:50 pm, join the meeting at: https://zoom.us/j/[Meeting ID],[Password]
- The program will begin at 7pm with this approximate schedule: 20 minute sitting; 5 minute chant; announcements; then a 30-40 minute Talk/Discussion.
*To join by telephone (audio only):
- Dial 669 900 6833 (San Jose) and follow voice prompts for entering the Meeting ID and password.
- The one tap string of numbers are included in the Weekly Email.
- Phone Controls: *9 = Raise hand; *6 = Mute/unmute