- This event has passed.
Allowing Emptiness to Fill the Page: a Sitting & Writing Retreat with Beth Jacobs (online)
June 5 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
This workshop will be dedicated to writing practices that honor the Buddhist path. We will practice techniques that illustrate the overlap between mindfulness training and expressive writing. Using material from the Abhidharma, Mahayana sutras and writings of Eihei Dogen, we will demonstrate how personal writing can enrich our study of the dharma and provide a space where teachings can come to life in our creativity.
Beth Jacobs is a writer, transmitted lay teacher in the Soto Zen Buddhist lineage, and a clinical psychologist in private practice. She is the author of The Original Buddhist Psychology; Long Shadows of Practice, Poems; and A Buddhist Journal: Guided Practices for Writers and Meditators. She facilitates expressive writing groups for children, teenagers, and grandparents. She has taught Abhidharma classes at several sanghas and has co-taught “Abhidhamma and Buddhist Thought” through the Mid-American Buddhist Association and the University of Kelaniya in Sri Lanka.
*To join a meeting by computer, you must install Zoom software:
- Register for the retreat to receive the Meeting ID and Password.
- Prior to the meeting, download the free Zoom Client for Meetings (13 MB) As you Wait for the host to start the meeting click the Test Computer Audio button to make sure you can hear and be heard by others.
- Download the chants in PDF.
- Join the meeting at: https://zoom.us/j/[Meeting ID],[Password]
- A detailed schedule will be emailed to those who are registered.
*To join by telephone (audio only):
- Dial 669 900 6833 (San Jose) and follow voice prompts for entering the Meeting ID and password.
- Phone Controls: *9 = Raise hand; *6 = Mute/unmute