- This event has passed.
Program Inspired by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
January 18, 2021 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all Indirectly.” ~Martin Luther King, Jr.
Facilitated by Paravrtti Doralee Grindler Katonah, our program will honor the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King with a presentation by 4 sangha members who participated in a 12-week, 6-session study group on White Supremacy, White Privilege, and the Dharma. This study group was developed for white sangha members who want to learn about the history of racism and its continuation in the form of systemic racism, the ideology of white supremacy and how white supremacy is perpetuated through the invisibility of white privilege. Through reading, personal introspection, and reflection on action, learning occurred on an embodied level. New integrative understandings of the dharma culminated our inquiry together.
Come to listen to sangha friends reflect on their experiences in the study group, and then to participate in further discussion regarding this challenging root of suffering in our society. With this conversation, we aim to honor Martin Luther King, Jr.’s assertion that we are all responsible for bringing justice to our world.
*To join the meeting by computer, you must install Zoom software:
- Sign Up for Weekly Emails to receive each Meeting ID and Password.
- Prior to the meeting, download the free Zoom Client for Meetings (13 MB) As you Wait for the host to start the meeting click the Test Computer Audio button to make sure you can hear and be heard by others.
- Download the chants in PDF.
- At 6:50 pm, join the meeting at: https://zoom.us/j/[Meeting ID],[Password]
- The program will begin at 7pm with this approximate schedule: 30 minute sitting; 5 minute chant; announcements; then a 30-40 minute Talk/Discussion.
*To join by telephone (audio only):
- Dial 669 900 6833 (San Jose) and follow voice prompts for entering the Meeting ID and password.
- The one tap string of numbers are included in the Weekly Email.
- Phone Controls: *9 = Raise hand; *6 = Mute/unmute