- This event has passed.
Practice Circle: “Reflecting on the Year Past, and the Year to Come”
January 4, 2021 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
This evening’s practice circle will be led by our head of practice, So-On Jim Hare.
The Three Treasures are the foundation of the Practice Circle: (1) the Oneness of Buddha, (2) the Diversity of Dharma, (3) the Harmony of Sangha. The circle itself is a container for being in the present, manifesting just as we are in the truth of the moment.
Our Practice Circle Guidelines are adapted from the Zen Center of Los Angeles:
When speaking, we practice speaking from integrity and speak the truth as we know it. We stay focused on our own experience as opposed to taking about others or talking abstractly.
In listening, we try not to interrupt, even with our thoughts. We practice receiving whatever is being offered by another without attachments or judgements.
In silence, we allow all things to arise and pass away, accepting and honoring different expressions and perspectives. We sit with our discomfort.
During the Covid-19 pandemic, we will meet online using Zoom video conferencing software. We will continue to monitor local health advisories regarding group meetings. We of course hope to be able to resume our in-person programs as soon as it is safe to do so.
*To join the meeting by computer, you must install Zoom software:
- Sign Up for Weekly Emails to receive each Meeting ID and Password.
- Prior to the meeting, download the free Zoom Client for Meetings (13 MB) As you Wait for the host to start the meeting click the Test Computer Audio button to make sure you can hear and be heard by others.
- Download the chants in PDF.
- At 6:50 pm, join the meeting at: https://zoom.us/j/[Meeting ID],[Password]
- The program will begin at 7pm with this approximate schedule: 30 minute sitting; 5 minute chant; announcements; then a 30-40 minute Talk/Discussion.
*To join by telephone (audio only):
- Dial 669 900 6833 (San Jose) and follow voice prompts for entering the Meeting ID and password.
- The one tap string of numbers are included in the Weekly Email.
- Phone Controls: *9 = Raise hand; *6 = Mute/unmute